Monday, February 4, 2013

advice from a wedding photographer



I was thrilled when the wedding team at The Elm Hurst Inn asked me to guest blog this month. I put together a small list of helpful tips, things that I always think about while planning or on the actual day, that might give a couple insight. Here is the article, to view the 
Elm Hurst Blog click here:) Happy monday!!




Your wedding photos will last a lifetime – that’s why it’s always best to hire a professional, rather than relying on candid shots snapped by family and friends.

We asked Kelly Taylor of The Bridal Lounge to share her tips on making sure your wedding photos don’t disappoint. Here’s what she said…
“As a wedding photographer, my goal is to give you the best experience possible all crammed into a very busy, sometimes stressful day. There are a jillion tips for executing a wedding but these are just a few lesson I’ve learned along my journey:
Book Early
If you have a certain date, photographer, venue, etc in mind, and you want to ensure they are available for your special day, book early. Yes that means 18 months in advance sometimes.
Know your Guest Count
Don’t be disappointed if after you’ve booked the venue of your dreams, they cannot accommodate the number of guests you have.  A place like The Elm Hurst Inn & Spa has reception spaces suitable for parties of all sizes, but before you do the leg work and spend your time and money, have a realistic idea about how many guests will be coming to your wedding. This is also helpful when breaking down the budget.


Be Organized

I have to be careful with this one! Just as every couple is different, each person has their

 own level of organization. I tell my couples that the more detailed planning you do before, 

the easier your day will be. When I meet new couples I immediately lay out a rough 

timeline to get a basic overview of how the day might look. It helps with co-coordinating 

other vendors, booking hair appointments etc. Now, please don’t start making DIY favours 

two years before your ceremony(unless that’s how you roll) , just set small goals and don’t 

kill yourself trying to achieve them. Spread them out over time, and enjoy the ride.
Let your Vendors help lead the way

Working in the industry, I work with other professionals all the time. I see what products 

look fabulous and which DO NOT look fabulous. Let one vendor lead you to another.  We 

know the great make-up artists and limo companies in your area! Ask and ye shall receive.
Ignore the camera and just Be

You look beautiful so don’t worry about me taking a bad shot. That’s my job. I will direct 

you when necessary, but otherwise enjoy your day.
Accept that things won’t be perfect

That’ right I said it. It won’t be. The goal is for everything to run smoothly, but things 

happen that are out of your control so please don’t let one problem ruin everything else. A 

little dirt on your dress will go unnoticed but you will have your pictures for a thousand 

years!!


Consider doing a First Look

A First Look is when the bride and groom see each other before the ceremony and get most 

of the photos out of the way. Now, I am all for a traditional walk down the aisle, but more 

and more couples want to walk out the aisle as husband and wife and into a martini 

reception with their loved ones – instead of going for a photo shoot. A ‘First Look’ is also 

great because you can get your photos done when you are fresh and full of energy earlier in 

the day.
Lose the Glitter

Its one of those silly little things, but it makes a difference. Glitter looks strange in 

photographs. So wait for the photos to be done, then go crazy with the stuff!
Consider a Cocktail Dress for the evening

I know what you are thinking. “Kelly, I would never do that, I love my dress so much I will 

want to wear it all night!”

You say that now, but after being sucked in and tightened up for the afternoon, you will 

want a little wiggle room to get a decent breath in and really relax for the party portion of 

your day. A recent bride of mine told me after  her wedding that she really wished she had a 

second dress to enjoy her meal and to dance the night away with ease.


Have Fun!

It is so important for you to simply just enjoy it. This day is for you and your partner, and 

yes it will be a whirlwind but it will be the best time you’ve ever had. Live in the moment 

and be present. It will definitely translate in the pictures!





1 comment:

  1. Great post Kelly! Yay for being featured! ; ) Great photography was definitely my biggest wish for my wedding! ; )

    ReplyDelete